Biodun Iginla, BBC News

Biodun Iginla, BBC News

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Gilles Deleuze: In Memoriam (1925-1995): =CAA Personal Note=CA=CA=CA

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10260219708455911

+  From: Jeffrey Cohen <jjcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
+  Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 07:39:14 -0500 (EST)
This may interest some. Posted with permission.

JJC
________________________________________________________________________
Jeffrey Jerome Cohen =09=09 (202)994-5338 fax (202)994-7915
Associate Director, Program in Human Sciences, George Washington U
=09=09 http://www.gwu.edu/~humsci


---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 13:31:03 -0600
From: Biodun o. Iginla <iginl001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: jjcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: imaginary geographies

[...]

Gilles Deleuze: In Memoriam (1925-1995): =CAA Personal Note=CA=CA=CA

Biodun Iginla=CAUniversity of Minnesota Press=CA=CA=CA

Copyright @ Biodun Iginla (1995)=CA=CA

(Prepared simultaneously for Social Text, boundary 2, The Minnesota Daily=
, =20
and Lingua Franca .)=CA=CA

Michel Foucault once said: "This century will perhaps be Deleuzian one day.=
"=CA=CA

On Saturday, November 4, 1995, I lost the only intellectual father I ever h=
ad:=20
Gilles Deleuze committed suicide by jumping out the window of his apartment=
on=20
avenue Niel in the 17th arrondisement of Paris. He was 70 years old. A grad=
uate=20
school friend of mine (he had also studied with Deleuze) who happened to be=
in=20
Paris (he's a French citizen but resides in Missoula, Montana) called me in=
=20
Minneapolis to tell me about the event a few hours after the Paris media pi=
cked=20
it up. I was not all that surprised about his suicide. I knew he had been=
=20
suffering from severe respiratory problems ever since one of his lungs coll=
apsed
several years back. And I also knew that for about one and half years befor=
e his
suicide he had been tied to a respiratory machine and told not to receive a=
ny=20
visitors and to cut back on his writing. And I also knew he recently had a=
=20
tracheotomy. But I was surprised about the manner in which he committed sui=
cide:
defenestration. =CA=CA

Uncannily, on Saturday afternoon, before I got the call from Paris, while=
=20
discussing Yitzak Rabin's assassination (and other dismaying world events t=
his=20
fin-de-millennium) with Hilary Radner, perhaps my closest friend (and Deleu=
zian=20
sister) in the US at this point, I told her that if only I could call Deleu=
ze=20
right then in Paris to ask him his opinion of the current epistemic rupture=
that
we're experiencing on all registers and levels, I would, but that alas, he'=
s=20
more or less sequestered, by his doctors, from contact with the outside wor=
ld.=CA=CA

One crisp but pleasant fall evening in October 1990, I visited Deleuze at t=
hat=20
apartment. He had just moved in. Two months before, in August, when he was =
still
living on rue de Bizerte (also in the 17th), in response to a desperate ple=
a=20
from me to intervene, on my behalf, with J=8Er=99me Lindon, his formidable =
publisher
at =83ditions de Minuit, on the matter of securing, for the University of=
=20
Minnesota Press, the English-language rights to his Pourparlers (a collect=
ion=20
of his interviews), he had written me a letter (always in longhand and alwa=
ys=20
promptly and generously) by way of apology, to explain to me why the=20
English-language rights to Pourparlers was being picked up by Columbia=20
University Press instead of by Minnesota Press. I had thought I had the=20
inalienable filial right to secure those rights, because after all, Minneso=
ta=20
Press had published eight of his books for the Anglophone world, and I was =
(and=20
still am) his student (why not say it, his "son," clearly "oedipal," agains=
t the
grain, as it were, of L'Anti-Oedipe ) and currently, his editor. He explain=
ed in
that letter that the idea for Pourparlers had come from Columbia Press, so=
they
had the dibs for the English-language rights on it. I had told him in my pl=
ea=20
that I would be in Paris that October after the Frankfurt Book Fair, and th=
at I=20
would very much like to visit him. In his letter, he said he also would ver=
y=20
much like to see me after an intervening fourteen years. He was alone when =
I=20
arrived. He met me by the elevator and led me into the spacious (for Paris)=
and=20
tastefully decorated apartment. We sat around for two hours in the living =
room=20
and drank red wine and chatted about the old days (he had retired from teac=
hing=20
in 1987) and about contemporary events (specifically, about what he called =
"the=20
terrorism of the Western State machine against the people of the third-worl=
d,"=20
which, as he knew well, had a strong resonance for me, an American citizen =
of=20
third-world heritage). He reminisced about some of his old students, the on=
es he
had lost contact with, about whatever might have become of them. He said=
=20
unfortunately, he didn't--that he couldn't possibly -- remain in contact wi=
th=20
all of his students. "There were so many of you," he said. When I saw that=
he=20
was getting tired, I decided to leave. I said goodbye. He walked me to the=
=20
elevator. He shook my hand vigorously. I took the elevator downstairs, and=
=20
disappeared into the crisp but pleasant Paris night. Of course, I had no id=
ea=20
that I would be seeing him for the last time.=CA=CA

I first met Gilles Deleuze in the spring of 1975 at Universit=8E de Paris (=
VIII)=20
(then at) Vincennes. I was attending his seminar on the philosophy of the=
=20
rhizome. I was then a graduate student in comparative literature at the=20
University of Minnesota. As far as I can recall with certainty, the followi=
ng is
one of the first coherent concepts that I grasped in the early days of that=
=20
seminar:=CA=CA

A book has neither object nor subject; it is made up of variously formed=20
matters, and very different dates and speeds. To attribute the book to a su=
bject
is to overlook this working of matters, and the exteriority of their relati=
ons.=20
It is to fabricate a God to explain geological movements. In a book, as in =
all=20
things, there are lines of articulation or segmentarity, strata and territo=
ries;
but also lines of flight, movements of deterritorialization and=20
destratification. Comparative rates of flow on these lines produce phenomen=
a of=20
relative slowness and viscosity, or, on the contrary, of acceleration and=
=20
rupture. All this, lines and measurable speeds, constitutes an assemblage. =
A=20
book is an assemblage of this kind....It is a multiplicity.=CA=CA

This concept has served me well in my publishing career. It is not by chanc=
e, I=20
don't think, that this concept found its way to print in the introduction t=
o=20
Mille Plateaux: vol. 2 de Capitalism et Schizophr=8Enie, published by =83di=
tions de=20
Minuit in 1980. Many of Deleuze's ideas from that seminar (and a subsequent=
one=20
in the spring of 1976 that I also attended) found their way into that book=
=20
(co-authored with F=8Elix Guattari). It is also not by chance that Minnesot=
a Press
published the book for the Anglophone world (in a splendid translation by B=
rian=20
Massumi) in 1987, before my tenure at the Press. =CA=CA

Again: I'm not really surprised by his suicide, but I did not know why he c=
hose=20
defrenestration as the best way to go. But then, for two days, I searched h=
is=20
numerous texts (21 by himself and 7 co-authored mostly with Guattari) for c=
lues.
I found two:=CA=CA

In 1969, in Logique du sens, he wrote that the philosopher's image, more=
=20
fabulous than scientific, seems to have been fixed by Platonism: the philos=
opher
is that ascendant being who emerges from the cave, rising and purifying him=
self=20
with the pure ideas he loves, very platonically.=CA=CA

Later on in the text, he comments on the Presocratic philosopher, Empedocle=
s,=20
who committed suicide by jumping into the volcano Etna:=CA=CA

The Presocratic philosopher does not emerge from the cave: On the contrary,=
he=20
figures that he's not engaged enough, not engulfed enough...Empedocles's sa=
ndals
must be distinguished from the wings of the Platonic soul: His sandals sign=
ify=20
that he is of the earth, under the earth, and autonomous. Presocratic philo=
sophy
subverts Platonic conversion.=CA=CA

In 1993, in his Afterword to Samuel Beckett's Quad, Deleuze wrote:=CA=CATh=
e=20
exhausted person is "more" than the weary person. The weary person only exh=
austs
reality, whereas the exhausted person exhausts the possible. Does he exhaus=
t the
possible because he is himself exhausted, or is he exhausted because he exh=
austs
the possible? He exhausts himself because he exhausts the possible, and=20
inversely....The most horrible position to be in is to wait for death, sitt=
ing=20
without being able to stand or sleep, waiting for the final curtain that wo=
uld=20
put one to sleep forever.=CA=CA

In 1990, I became Deleuze's editor at Minnesota Press, after Lindsay Waters=
=20
(currently executive editor at Harvard University Press) and Terry Cochran=
=20
(currently on the faculty in comparative literature at University of Montr=
=8Eal).=20
I think arbitrary (rather than motivated) coincidences are quite rare in=20
academia and publishing: =CA=CA

In 1973, before I met Deleuze in person, Tom Conley (surely an early mentor=
and=20
long-term friend of mine of some twenty-two years; after a twenty-four-year=
=20
tenure in French and Italian at the University of Minnesota, currently prof=
essor
of romance languages at Harvard University; and the translator of Deleuze's=
Le=20
Pli: Leibniz et le baroque for Minnesota Press) got me to read L'Anti-Oedi=
pe, =20
and it became my bible.=CA=CA

In 1977, I was Lindsay's teaching assistant in the humanities program (wher=
e he=20
was visiting professor for one year) at the University of Minnesota before =
he=20
joined the Press in 1978. Terry Cochran succeeded him when he went to Harva=
rd=20
Press in 1983. Terry was in the same comparative literature program with me=
in=20
1978, and we both had Wlad Godzich (who first brought Deleuze to Minnesota=
=20
under the aegis of his prestigious Theory and History of Literature--THL--=
=20
series) on our dissertation committees.=CA=CA

In 1979, after my four-year teaching assistantship ran out at the Universit=
y of=20
Minnesota, I was Wlad's research assistant (via the Federal Work-Study prog=
ram)=20
when he was chair of comparative literature. At that point, he was negotia=
ting=20
with Lindsay about starting the THL series at Minnesota Press.=CA=CA

In 1980, I drifted out of the world of American and European academia into =
the=20
(closed and incestuous) world of New York commercial publishing.=CA=CA

In 1981, I read Mille Plateaux when I thought I was powering up a career i=
n New
York commercial publishing, and the book displaced L'Anti-Oedipe as my=20
Bible.=CA=CA

In 1987, I lost the only biological father one can ever have.=CA=CA

In 1989, I emerged out of the (closed and incestuous) New York trade publis=
hing=20
world and drifted back to Minnesota to become Terry's assistant at the=20
University of Minnesota Press.=CA=CA

In 1990, I succeeded Terry when he left Minnesota Press. =CA=CA

In 1992, Deleuze lost F=8Elix Guattari, his closest friend and writing part=
ner.=CA=CA

In 1993, I wrote Deleuze after I secured the English-language rights to his=
last
book, Critique et clinique, and told him that I would be in Paris once aga=
in=20
after Frankfurt Book Fair, and could I again drop in for a visit. He respon=
ded=20
promptly (again, always in longhand) that he was happy that Minnesota Press=
was=20
translating the book, but alas, he couldn't see me this time: His doctors h=
ad=20
told him not to receive any visitors because of "the state of his health." =
=CA=CA

In 1994, I got my last letter from him. I had written to ask whether he wou=
ld=20
like to write the foreword (no matter how short) to the American edition of=
=20
Critique et clinique. (He analyzed the work of several American writers in =
the=20
book.) He said in his letter that even though he would very much have liked=
to=20
write such a foreword, his health, as he put it "was tormenting him at the=
=20
moment" and that "it was quite painful for him to move around, even to=20
undress."=CA=CA

Ever since his suicide, colleagues and friends have asked me whether Deleuz=
e was
depressed. I told them I didn't know, but that his suicide wasn't that=20
surprising given what he had been going through, that I was simply surprise=
d at=20
the manner he did it. And then I browsed his texts looking for clues. (I ha=
ve=20
since shared my discoveries with a few friends and colleagues.) One thing f=
or=20
sure: He was not depressed for most of his life, which for him, was his wo=
rk.=20
After all, the body of his work constitutes at once and among other things:=
the=20
critique of negativity; the hatred of interiority; the celebration of forc=
es;=20
the affirmation of life; and the cultivation of joy. Didn't he (with Guatta=
ri) =20
in L'Anti-Oedipe tell the analysand looking for a cure to "get up from the=
=20
couch and go out for a walk in the sun"? At the time of this writing, no de=
tails
about the defenestration have been forthcoming from the French print media=
,=20
which are not of the tabloid American and British kind. =CA=CA

Gilles Deleuze: I say "In Memoriam" on behalf of my intimate Press friends =
and=20
colleagues, my domestic US and international theoretical family members (qu=
ite a
few of whom are personal friends), and former students of Deleuze everywher=
e,=20
including Australia and Japan. He lives on in all of us who have read--and=
=20
learned from--him. We are all, in a sense, his orphans: the very metaphor h=
e=20
used for the unconscious. Our deepest sympathies for Fanny, his widow; Juli=
en,=20
his son; and =83milie, his daughter. =CA=CAIt is also not by chance that am=
ong his=20
close friends were Jean-Fran=8Dois Lyotard, R=8Eda Bensma=95a, Marcel H=8En=
aff, H=8El=8Fne=20
Cixous (who founded Vincennes after May '68 and hired him there in 1969), a=
nd=20
Toni Negri, all of whom are Minnesota Press authors and also personal frien=
ds of
mine.=CA=CA

I conclude with an anecdote that another student of Deleuze's and also a=20
Minnesota Press author, Roger Celestin, shared with me. In 1976, the day a=
fter=20
the Jonestown (Guyana) massive cult suicide-massacre, there was a transit s=
trike
in Paris. That day at the seminar in Vincennes, the usually packed room had=
only
about twenty-five students. (I was not in class that day: The strike had le=
ft me
stranded way south at the Cit=8E Universitaire on boulevard Jourdan in the =
14th=20
arrondisement.) Deleuze looked around the room at the students before begin=
ning=20
his lecture and said, while picking his famous long fingernails: "Perhaps w=
e=20
should start our own cult?"=CA=CA

Gilles Deleuze: In Memoriam: 1925-1995. In a sense, this century is alread=
y =20
Deleuzian. For example, he had worked out theoretically the distinction bet=
ween=20
actual and virtual reality at least two decades before cyberists and=20
techno-evangelists started talking about the distinction betweeen real life=
(RL)
and virtual reality (VR). What Jacques Derrida said about Maurice Blanchot =
can=20
also be applied to Deleuze: "[He] waits for us still to come, to be read an=
d=20
reread... I would say that never as much as today have I pictured him so fa=
r=20
ahead of us."=CA=CA

I know in my guts that he would want all of us, his sons and daughters, to=
=20
celebrate and affirm life (according to an adage from my Yoruba heritage "E=
at=20
life before it eats you"), in spite of everything negative going on current=
ly,=20
at this fin-de-millennium.=CA=09=CA

Biodun Iginla is Senior Editor at the University of Minnesota Press.=CA=CA=
=CA


Biodun Iginla
Senior Editor, Acquisitions
University of Minnesota Press
111 Third Avenue South #290
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520
612-627-1974 (office-voice)
612-627-1980 (office-fax)
612-721-9666 (home-fax)
Internet: iginl001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 comment:


  1. If you ever want to change or up your university grades contact cybergolden hacker he'll get it done and show a proof of work done before payment. He's efficient, reliable and affordable. He can also perform all sorts of hacks including text, whatsapp, password decrypt,hack any mobile phone, Escape Bancruptcy, Delete Criminal Records and the rest

    Email: cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete