Biodun Iginla, BBC News

Biodun Iginla, BBC News

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

BREAKING: US embassy in Iraq 'stormed' by protesters angry at air strikes on militia


Protesters set fire to the wall of the US embassy compound in Baghdad, Iraq (31 December 2019)Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionProtesters started fires next the walls of the US embassy compound in Baghdad
by Leila Mohamed and Biodun Iginla, BBC News, Baghdad
Protesters angered by recent US air strikes on an Iran-backed Iraqi militia have reportedly broken into the US embassy compound in Baghdad.
US forces are said to have fired tear gas to disperse a crowd that breached the outer wall of the compound, which is in the heavily fortified Green Zone.
One of the guard towers was also apparently set alight.
At least 25 fighters died when the US bombed bases associated with Kataib Hezbollah in Iraq and Syria on Sunday.
The US said it was retaliating for a rocket attack on an Iraqi military base in Kirkuk on Friday that killed an American civilian contractor.
Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi said the air strikes had violated his country's sovereignty and would force it to review its relations with the US.
Kataib Hezbollah's commander, Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, warned that the militia's response "would be very tough on the American forces in Iraq".
Iran described the attacks as a "clear example of terrorism".
(This is a breaking story. Please come back here for more details.)
Map of Baghdad
Presentational white space

Related Topics

More on this story

2 comments:

  1. I'm  here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me. My name is Nikita Tanya, from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance  all hope was lost until one faithful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from Le_Meridian Funding Service She introduced me to this honest loan company who helped me get a loan in within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com, they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of a loan assistance  please come to this company and be saved.WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I too was surprised when it ended while I was studying. There is good content for your post. I want to share some great information with you that will help you make video calls while using facebook visit this article facebook messenger camera not working.

    ReplyDelete