Biodun Iginla, BBC News

Biodun Iginla, BBC News

Saturday, January 27, 2018

BREAKING: Colombia police station bomb blast kills five and injures dozens


A helmeted policeman in his bright green uniform looks at the police station as medical staff and other officers congregate in front of the stationImage copyrightEPA
Image captionThe attack happened in Barranquilla's San Jose district during the station's morning meeting
by Enrique Krause and Biodun Iginla, BBC News, Bogota
At least five police officers have been killed and dozens wounded in the bombing of a Colombian police station.
Officers were gathered to receive their morning assignments when the bomb exploded outside the station in the city of Barranquilla.
Officials said the attack was probably in retaliation for a crackdown on drug trafficking and organised crime.
Police have offered a reward of 50 million pesos (£12,700) for information about the attackers.
It is believed the device was detonated remotely, possibly having been planted earlier.
One 31-year-old suspect has already been arrested, Colombia's office of the attorney-general said.
"We will charge (him) with five aggravated murders ... attempted murder, terrorism and use of explosives," Attorney-General Nestor Martinez said in remarks carried by AFP.
Colombian newspaper El Tiempo said the suspect had been found near the station with radio equipment and plans of the police station.
A police officer adjusts his helmet outside the scene of the bombing, surrounded by civiliansImage copyrightEPA
Image captionThe attack came just weeks before the city's annual carnival
It is believed a number of others were also involved in planning and carrying out the attack.
In addition to the five dead officers, more than 40 others were injured.
Most injuries were not life-threatening, but several officers remain in serious condition in nearby hospitals, local media said.
Colombia's national police director, General Jorge Nieto, visited the scene and spoke to several injured officers.
President Juan Manuel Santos labelled the attack "cowardly" and said authorities would not rest until they had found those responsible.
People look on outside a hospital, after an attack on the Station of the District San Jose, in Barranquilla, Colombia January 27. 2018.Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionCrowds gathered outside the local hospital in Barranquilla's San Jose district
While authorities said the bombing probably came in retaliation to a police crackdown, local media reported that it may have been orchestrated as a distraction - because an armoured car was robbed nearby at the same time.
The attack also came just weeks ahead of Barranquilla's annual carnival, which is the second-largest celebration of its kind, after the famous Rio carnival.

Related Topics

More on this story

1 comment:


  1. Greetings to everyone on this blog forum, I want to tell you all about a financial breakthrough that Mr, lee offered me to get through when I was starving with my business and family during the covid19 pandemic. I came across Mr lee on blog spot by someone recommends him to anyone looking for loan I was so excited and I got motivated too to be in that position of financial freedom as my family was starving, I contacted Mr lee on what's app which I told him my life story about financial situation he sends me an application form to fill with my details which I did then after he sends me loan agreement then I forwarded it to my lawyer to take a look and advise me on how to go about it then after I signed the loan agreement after that my loan was approved few hours back bank contact me for funds transfer and charges that I need to clear at the bank counter I cleared the charges which I received my loan the next day that I cleared the bank charges so it's was really nice working with Mr lee and I thank him a lot of the help that he gave me which really help my family from starvation. Contact Mr Lee on Email: 247officedept@gmail.com or talk to him on whatsapp + 19893943740. For quick response because he's always busy but they have some other professional team co-worker working with him as well but I recommend Mr Lee to anyone looking for financial help.

    ReplyDelete