Biodun Iginla, BBC News

Biodun Iginla, BBC News

Friday, June 19, 2015

Charleston relatives 'forgive' shooting suspect in court

by Biodun Iginla and Alyssa Mann, BBC News, Charleston, SC

3 minutes ago


Relatives of some of the nine churchgoers shot dead in South Carolina have addressed the suspected gunman in court and said they forgive him.
Dylann Roof, 21, appeared in court in Charleston to face nine murder charges.
He showed no emotion as relatives of the victims addressed him directly. "I forgive you" said one victim's daughter, fighting back tears.
Police are treating the killings at the African-American church on Wednesday night as a hate crime.
A woman who identified herself as the daughter of Ethel Lance said: "You took something very precious from me. I will never talk to her ever again. I will never be able to hold her again, but I forgive you. And have mercy on your soul."
Anthony Thompson, a relative of Myra Thompson, told him to repent and to turn to Jesus Christ.
"I forgive you and my family forgives you," he said.
The judge set Mr Roof's bond at $1m (£630,000) for the weapons possession charge but could not place a bond on the murder charges due to a legal technicality.
Mr Roof will now remain in jail, at least until a high court sets the bond for the murder charges.

No comments:

Post a Comment